[FIXED] Lesser bug in the .deb package for 0.9.262-1

Improve Xt7-Player by reporting bugs.
Be kind, and try to find under which conditions we can reproduce the bug.

[FIXED] Lesser bug in the .deb package for 0.9.262-1

Postby ikisham on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Hello, thank you for the application.
xt7-player_0.9.262-1_all.deb has a little bug with its menu file and also can have its desktop file improved.
I'm using Debian Sid.
/usr/share/menu/xt7-player has a missing "=" after "section". It should be like this:
Code: Select all
?package(xt7-player):needs="X11" section="Applications/Video"\
title="xt7-player"\
command="/usr/bin/xt7-player.gambas"\
icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xt7-player.png"

Also /usr/share/applications/xt7-player.desktop can be improved.
- "Encoding" category is deprecated (if you run "desktop-file-validate xt7-player.desktop", from the package desktop-file-utils in Debian, you get: "xt7-player.desktop: warning: key "Encoding" in group "Desktop Entry" is deprecated").
- According to http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-s ... t/apa.html , "Video" category must come with "AudioVideo" too.
So I fixed these things, added the "MimeType" entry (copied from mplayer.desktop), added "GenericName" entry (some menus, like the one from Linux Mint, use that) and pt_BR (Brazilian Portuguese) entries.

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Xt7-player
Name[pt_BR]=Xt7-player
GenericName=Multimedia player
GenericName[pt_BR]=Reprodutor multimídia
Comment=Xt7-Player, an (almost) complete mplayer gui
Comment[pt_BR]=Xt7-Player, uma interface gráfica para o MPlayer (quase) completa
Exec=/usr/bin/xt7-player.gambas
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/xt7-player.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Qt;AudioVideo;Audio;Video;
MimeType=application/ogg;application/x-ogg;video/ogg;audio/ogg;application/sdp;application/smil;application/x-smil;application/streamingmedia;application/x-streamingmedia;application/vnd.rn-realmedia;application/vnd.rn-realmedia-vbr;audio/aac;audio/x-aac;audio/m4a;audio/x-m4a;audio/mp1;audio/x-mp1;audio/mp2;audio/x-mp2;audio/mp3;audio/x-mp3;audio/mpeg;audio/x-mpeg;audio/mpegurl;audio/x-mpegurl;audio/mpg;audio/x-mpg;audio/rn-mpeg;audio/scpls;audio/x-scpls;audio/vnd.rn-realaudio;audio/wav;audio/x-pn-windows-pcm;audio/x-realaudio;audio/x-pn-realaudio;audio/x-ms-wma;audio/x-pls;audio/x-wav;video/mpeg;video/x-mpeg;video/x-mpeg2;video/msvideo;video/x-msvideo;video/quicktime;video/vnd.rn-realvideo;video/x-ms-afs;video/x-ms-asf;video/x-ms-wmv;video/x-ms-wmx;video/x-ms-wvxvideo;video/x-avi;video/x-fli;video/x-theora;video/x-matroska;

After installation (or during istallation), the command "update-desktop-database" (from package "desktop-file-utils" in Debian) must be run so the mime types are put in the mimeinfo.cache file and can be read from the system.
ikisham

Re: Lesser bug in the .deb package for 0.9.262-1

Postby kokoko3k on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:59 am

Unfortunately the packaging process is somehow automated in gambas and it is addressed entirely in the ide.
Thank you for submitting this, I will forward your message to Bemoit Minisini (the gambas coder).

Anyway, for the next releases i could still manually edit the deb created by the ide, waiting for the issue to be fixed by mainline.
kokoko3k
Site Admin

Postby kokoko3k on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:34 am

Just answered me that it has already been fixed, and should be addressed in the next gambas release.
kokoko3k
Site Admin

Postby ikisham on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi.
In 0.9.272-1 the menu file issue seems to be resolved but the construction of xt7-player.desktop is still not right.
As I said before, the category "Video" can't appear alone (same with "Audio") it must come together with "AudioVideo" otherwise it won't work. So if this is from gambas, then the categories there must be fixed. If someone chooses "Video", it must put in the file "Categories=AudioVideo;Video;", same with "Audio".
Also I recommend that you have also the key "MimeType" so file managers can know which file to open with xt7-player. For you to know (repeating from the other post), it can use the same as mplayer:
MimeType=application/ogg;application/x-ogg;video/ogg;audio/ogg;application/sdp;application/smil;application/x-smil;application/streamingmedia;application/x-streamingmedia;application/vnd.rn-realmedia;application/vnd.rn-realmedia-vbr;audio/aac;audio/x-aac;audio/m4a;audio/x-m4a;audio/mp1;audio/x-mp1;audio/mp2;audio/x-mp2;audio/mp3;audio/x-mp3;audio/mpeg;audio/x-mpeg;audio/mpegurl;audio/x-mpegurl;audio/mpg;audio/x-mpg;audio/rn-mpeg;audio/scpls;audio/x-scpls;audio/vnd.rn-realaudio;audio/wav;audio/x-pn-windows-pcm;audio/x-realaudio;audio/x-pn-realaudio;audio/x-ms-wma;audio/x-pls;audio/x-wav;video/mpeg;video/x-mpeg;video/x-mpeg2;video/msvideo;video/x-msvideo;video/quicktime;video/vnd.rn-realvideo;video/x-ms-afs;video/x-ms-asf;video/x-ms-wmv;video/x-ms-wmx;video/x-ms-wvxvideo;video/x-avi;video/x-fli;video/x-theora;video/x-matroska;

Maybe the gambas coder would think it's not so urgent to code an option to have localized entries in the desktop file but in the future that would be a plus (for keys "Name", "GenericName" and "Comment").
More simple is to add the key "GenericName", as some applications and menus (like mintmenu) use it.
ikisham

Postby kokoko3k on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:44 pm

Of course you're right, on other distro like gentoo and arch linux, i manually create the .desktop file specifying the mimetypes, i'll try to edit the rpms and debs file accordingly in the next release.
Thank you for providing a sample .desktop file.

-EDIT-
Ok, i'm looking for packagers.
Would you like to become one?
kokoko3k
Site Admin

Postby ikisham on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:43 am

Unfortunately debian packaging is a bit complicated and I don't know how to do it.
Anyway, the automated deb package seems to be very good, with sources and everything. And works well.
That's why I pointed out to the desktop file, because it must be something easy to fix in the gambas script. As I said it's only needed to add a "GenericName" key, a "MimeType" key (I suppose the values you enter when building the package) and code something that would make Video or Audio come together with AudioVideo.
From the 262 package already the deprecated "Encoding" key was removed and it ran 'update-desktop-database' after installation (I don't remember if this was done already).
So kudos to the coder.
-edit- I'm sure if you send this feedback to the gambas developer he'll be able to do it.

Maybe later on I will be able to revise and complete the pt_BR translation (I translate other applications).
ikisham

Postby kokoko3k on Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:37 am

Ok, I'm going to report it too then, meantime if you download the gambas ide, you can easilly create the deb by importing xt7 source and select project->make->installation package (or similar)

Looking forward for the updated pt_BR translation!
kokoko3k
Site Admin

Postby ikisham on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 pm

On the other hand, I think you should report that because it may be useful to have the deb package build working fine, but for xt7-player maybe you could just ship the binary, the icon, the desktop file, a script to install, a script to uninstall and a readme. It would be simple.
Just an idea I had.
ikisham

Return to Bug reports